Thursday, January 7, 2010

Date for next reading & Carol Ann Duffy

It's on. Get ready to rumba.
The next Sexy Poets Society reading will be Monday, January 25th @ 5:30pm.

I'm scheduling poets currently. Looking for four, and only have one for sure. If you're interested, now is the time to ask me. I'm asking a few people in particular, but I can probably figure something out for you.

All for now about that. ONWARD....

I got an email about Carol Ann Duffy , poet laureate of Great Britain as of last year, reading her work at the UMMA this coming Monday, January 11th @ 5:10pm. (Damn U of M and their stupid 10 after crap)

So I'm gonna go. And I think a handful of Ian's may go as well. I'd love to get a few more people to come, maybe figure out some rides or bus, and then go for a drink after.

Honestly, I'm not familiar with her work whatsoever (I plan on checking out some of her stuff before going), but the position of Laureate is certainly fascinating and troubling on certain levels, so I'm really enthusiastic about going just to sate curiosity and either encourage or quell bitching.

However, sounds like for a laureate she's sort of a bad ass - she's the first lady laureate, first Scot, and first bisexual for Great Britain. To quote Iain Marshall, "Sounds like they just wanted to knock out all three at once."


Click
for UMMA event page and more info. Either email me or leave a comment in the thread if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment